Tuesday, October 8, 2013

(Sun)Bursting With Tips and Ideas

Darcy here from Dj's Stampin' Place. I have been having so much fun making the Sunburst cards. I think everyone who has seen page 110 of the 2013-2014 Stampin' Up! annual catalog has fallen in love with this technique. Have you tried the Sunburst technique yet? It is much easier than it looks! Today I will INKspire you with some samples, tips, and gift ideas all featuring Sunburst.

Today I played with the technique on a larger scale than I had before and made a gift for my Grandma with a matching card for her birthday.



I chose Designer Series Paper from two different packages. The yellow and the written page is from Afternoon Picnic. The green is from  Birthday Basics. I also used Blushing Bride cardstock embossed with an embossing folder.
To begin you will cut your paper into strips. The size depends on the scale of you project. You want the strips to be longer than your starting point to the edge of the paper so that they hang off the edge. For this 8" X 10" project, I cut my strips 3" X 6". Then use your paper trimmer to cut them in half along the diagonal. The frame used two strips of each paper, or four triangles each. The paper that you glue your strips on can be a piece of scrap cardstock or lightweight cardboard.


In the first picture, you can see that my starting point was roughly in the middle of the page. You then just glue them down in the order than you wish, always making sure that they are touching and that the strips extend past the edge of your paper. *Watch your corners* You may have to adjust the placement to make sure that the corners are completely covered. The second picture shows the gluing part almost finished. The third picture is a view of the back and shows how you can see the strips extending. 
After you have all the strips glued down, you will use your Paper Trimmer or scissors to trim the excess off all four sides. You can see the trimmed project in the last picture. As you can see, where your points meet does not have to be perfect as you will be covering it up. 

Here is the upcycled frame before I painted it with Absolute Vintage Milk Paint. 

For the card, I started with a piece of 3.75" X 5" cardstock. I had several triangles left that I had cut and not used for the frame. I trimmed them down to 1.5" and then re-cut the diagonal. Part of what I cut off was a short, wider triangle. As you can see I ended up using both sizes. 


I wanted the Sunburst to be off center on the card, so you can see in the first picture where I started my point. Once again, the spot where the points meet does not have to be perfect as you can cover it with some type of embellishment. 





Here are two Christmas cards that I made recently. You can find detailed instructions for them by visiting my blog.


Thank you so much for joining me today. As you can see, the Sunburst technique isn't just for cards. It can be adapted for wall art, and even scrapbook pages.
Be sure to stop in tomorrow when Kim will have some fabulous Halloween INKspiration for us!

Thanks for stopping by today for your daily SSInkspiration! Don't forget to check out our Facebook and Pinterest pages for even MORE Inkspiration!

6 comments:

  1. Darcy, great job with your tutorial. I love this technique and your frame is so pretty. You have inspired me to try the sunbursting on a large scale. I will keep you posted on how it turns out. Thanks for the great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Tonya! Can't wait to see your creations!

      Delete
  2. SO CUTE! I have been scared to try this...now I know how! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kim! It really is super simple; and you can't mess it up!

      Delete
  3. Great tutorial on the sunburst...and a variety of projects to share with it!! The frame is so sweet!!

    ~Heidi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Heidi! I can't wait to give it to her tomorrow!

      Delete